Friday, October 01, 2010
Two Years Ago Today
After months and months of work, and then weeks and weeks of waiting, on this day 2 years ago, a big truck pulled up into the Veritas Academy parking lot and began unloading box after box of books.
Punic Wars and Culture Wars arrived on this day (October 1) in 2008. George W. Bush was still President, the 2008 campaign was raging, the economy was melting down, and I suddenly had whole shelves of books that I had not only read, but had written.
Since the book came out, I have had several opportunities to speak in such far off places as Chugiak, Alaska and El Dorado, Arkansas. This past summer, I was interviewed on a Christian radio station on the west coast.
Punic Wars and Culture Wars has been sent from coast to coast. It has been sent to 5 continents and 7 countries (actually 6--unless you count England and Scotland as separate).
Since writing the book, I have been able to write introductions to three books published by Canon Press (biographies of Nero, Hannibal, and Alexander by Jacob Abbott). I have contributed a chapter (on Edith Hamilton's Mythology) to Omnibus IV: The Ancient World and a chapter (on C.S. Lewis' The Great Divorce) to Omnibus V: The Medieval World (forthcoming). Both Omnibus titles are published by Veritas Press. Most recently, I had an article included in the new journal from the Center for Cultural Leadership. The journal is titled Fidelity, and my article is titled "The Audacity of Incumbency" and is about politics.
All that being said, I am thankful for the book. But I wish I could have corrected a few mistakes that cropped up in it. (I'm not telling where they are.) And I wish I could have added a few more essays and pages! Most of all, I wish that I could sell another 300 to 500 copies.
It is available from Canon Press in Moscow, Idaho, or Apologia Books in Virginia, or Inheritance Press in Canada, or Amazon.
Or, in honor of Punic Wars and Culture Wars' second birthday, you can order a copy from me for $10.00, plus postage (approximately $3.00). That better than a 50% savings. Contact me at Veritas@cableone.net if you want to purchase a copy of the book. If you want a whole box--18 copies--I will make you an even greater deal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
I knew if I held out a deal would be forthcoming! Just kidding. :) The check will be coming forthwith.
You are too late, Lawrence. The sale just ended--at least 5,000 sold. Price has now gone up to $75.00. Could let you have it for $69.95.
Shoot. I just hesitated too long.
I can only imagine the rage in Rick Warren's eyes when he sees your book flying of the shelves and his collecting dust in obscurity. On the more serious side, I wish I could sell your book. Sadly, I most often sell to more or less typical evangelicals who are likely to think Chuck Swindoll the premier theologian of modern history. You wrote a fun and interesting book and I wish I could put it in the hands of a few of my customers. ( I know, I know I can at the cheap rate of ---) David
My pastor gave me a copy of The Punic Wars 2 Christmases ago. It is a terrific book with many insights and inspiring tales. I enjoyed it greatly. One of the things I liked most about the book was learning about many new books and authors to read. Thank you.
Jason - Franklin, TN
Ben: Yep, I'm that crazy pastor. Me thinks I need another case!
Post a Comment