Sunday, June 12, 2011

Workshop Outline for the ACCS Conference on June 16


Anticipated audience interaction with my talk

Here is the outline for my upcoming talk at the Conference for the Association of Classical Christian Schools in Atlanta, Georgia this coming Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

A History Teacher’s Toolbox: Historians, Poets, Films, and Facts



“The truth escapes us not because we do not know enough facts,
but because the relationships of the facts are so complicated.”
E. Harrison Harbison, Historian

Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
Of facts…they lie unquestioned, uncombined.
Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
Is daily spun; but there exists no loom
To weave it into fabric.
Edna St. Vincent Millay, Poet

I. The Defining Dilemma: History Through the Omnibus or Advanced Placement

a. The Case for an Integrated Approach:
i. The Omnibus Program
ii. The Humanities Approach
iii. Net Result: Seeing the God’s World as a Whole

b. The Case for a Specialized Approach
i. Traditional History Classes
ii. Advanced Placement History Classes
iii. Net Result: A Focus on History as History

II. Historians: Accountants for the Facts and Story Tellers

a. The Unhappy Role of the Textbook

b. Accountants for the Facts: Analytical History

c. Story Tellers: Narrative History

d. The Well Tempered Teacher’s Bookshelf

e. Thomas Bailey (An American Pageant) or Paul Johnson (A History of the American People)

III. Romancing History

a. The Place for Literature in the History Classroom
i. The Iliad by Homer
ii. “The Charge of the Light Brigade” by Alfred Lord Tennyson
iii. The Unvanquished by William Faulkner

b. The Place for Artwork

c. The Place for Films
i. Gettysburg (the film) and The Killer Angels (the book)
ii. Documentaries

d. Enhancing True Love, Rescuing Facts

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nah, that picture has to be fake. That one guy in the middle still has his head up...........

Anonymous said...

Actually, I just looked again. I am curious. Did they actually die, or did you just put them to sleep?

Unknown said...

Sleep, a very good and relaxing sleep, while I explained in depth the relationship of the Tariff of 1850 to the second Punic War.
I taped the lecture and now sell it as a sleep aid.

Derek Monjure said...

The talk was very engaging, lively, and very well delivered. The content was very good.

Anonymous said...

Ben, for a modest $49.95 a month, I will come on your blog under various assumed names and post the MOST flattering comments under your every post. For $59.95 I'll make it sound sincere. For $69.95 I'll impersonate famous theologians. For $79.95 I'll impersonate your fellow church and school staff. And the deluxe plan -for a mere $89.95 a month I won't post anything at all!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Derek. I remember that time in Memphis when you commented on my writing for the Chalcedon Report. It is quite flattering to be noticed and remembered. Next time we are at the same conference, let's talk some.

David, get back on your prescription. How did you escape past the guards?

Anonymous said...

The guards fell asleep reading Punic Wars & Culture Wars!